Sunday, December 25, 2011

Christmas

The true meaning of Christmas: The celebration of the birth of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. Luke 2:1-20  


The meaning and import of the Christmas season has resonated more with me this year than any other year I believe.   Maybe it’s because I’ve become more and more grateful for salvation recently; knowing that a perfect and righteous God would choose willingly to send His only Son into a fallen and dark world to save the souls of mankind.   It’s almost inconceivable for me to understand how a holy, pure, perfect, and unchangeable Creator God would be interested in saving a lost, fallen, imperfect, and broken creation like me.  But then I realize:  that’s one of the reasons He’s so perfect…  He loves His creation with an undying passion, and is willing to do anything to save us.

So often we hear the verse, “For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son that whoever believes in Him will not perish but have eternal life.”  But how often do we mediate on its meaning?  How often during the Christmas season do we actually consciously realize how incredibly beautiful and humbling that is?  We may have a fleeting knowledge that quickly fades into a simple feeling of peace and joy of the season, but how often do we stop dead in our tracks and just think about how profound a love God has for us.  If you haven’t thought long and hard about it yet this Christmas, do so now...  forget about reading the rest of this and just shut down your computer and thank God for His love and mercy.



After thinking about that, think about this:  Our Savior’s humility.  God incarnate, Jesus Christ, made His earthly debut as a newborn infant.  He created the entire universe -- He could have torn the sky apart with His power and have been preceded by millions of angels covering the entire earth’s sky singing His praises and making all the inhabitants of earth bow before Him -- but He didn’t.  He didn't chose to be born into a wealthy family with great respect inside a large mansion, but instead was born in a tiny, dirty stable to a young virgin girl and her betrothed husband, who were rejected by nearly everyone they knew.   Even in our lowest moments, I doubt we have ever been in such a humiliating circumstance.  We’ve all been infants, but have any of us been born with such obscurity? But think about how famous this little baby is even today.  No other life has ever impacted the world like Christ's.  His life after His birth was equally humble, His ministry was attacked on all sides, His death was the most painful ever created, and the first to see Him resurrected was a woman who was once demon-possessed.  He didn't choose to live a life that He deserved, but chose to humble Himself and glorify the Father.  

I'm incredibly humbled and thankful to know that God had the desire to save me from my sins.  I was born a sinner, and am still a sinner muddling through this life and fallen world, but praise God that I am forgiven and able to put my hope and faith in Jesus Christ, my Lord! I would not be who I am today, or even alive for that matter, if it wasn't for Jesus Christ coming into my heart.  Knowing that I am filled with the Holy Spirit guarantees that I will never be empty ever again, and I am so incredibly thankful beyond words for that. 

So, this Christmas, I celebrate knowing that I have received the most glorious gift that anyone could ever desire: eternal salvation through Jesus Christ.  The gift is free and available to everyone.  But like with every present, you have to accept it before it can be given to you... you must take it for yourself before it becomes yours.  If you haven't accepted Jesus into your heart, do it today, do not wait.  It's the greatest gift you'll ever receive.

No comments:

Post a Comment