Monday, July 4, 2011

Vision and Devotion

Sometimes we are more devoted to ourselves and our vision than we are to God and His vision.  We are afraid to follow His plan if it conflicts with our personal choices and desires.  I think sometimes, we are afraid to even listen to what God is telling us because we fear we will have to change some aspect of our lives that we don't want to touch....

I've been reading a lot in Daniel 8-10 lately.  The passages speaking about Daniel's desire to understand the vision, his receiving strength as he heard the Lord speak, and Daniel's fear of the unknown kept jumping out at me.  In the last two weeks, almost every time I open my Bible I ended up there.  Three days ago I heard an audio devotional on the same passage.  I heard that passage referenced again on the radio that week.  The pastor I'm staying with this summer while doing missions told us that he "somehow ended up" at Daniel 9 and was talking about it one morning at breakfast with all of us.  I went searching in some of the pastor's commentaries to see what I could find--and when I first opened the books, the page subject fell open to "vision" in one book, and "dream" in the other.  One day I was trying to actually find Daniel in my Bible and it occurred to me it might be easier to close the Bible and then open it again and Daniel would find me.... it actually worked.    Tonight--the same thing happened, I opened the Bible to Daniel 9.  God is definitely wanting to tell me something.

Exactly what it is God is trying to show me, though,  I'm not sure.  Here are a few questions I ask myself:
  • Is God already telling me what He wants me to know, but I'm not listening?
  • Or is God waiting to show me the meat of the vision until I'm ready?
  • Are my eyes so closed I can't see what's right in front of me?
  • Am I too scared to open my heart up enough to let God pour in His will?
  • Could it be that I'm too afraid to even let God speak?
  • Am I so focused on the consequences of following God, that I don't want to step out in faith?
  • Do I care too much about what family and friends think that I don't want to "go there" with God?
  • Have I actually stopped and stood still long enough to simply rest in Him, and listen...
These are all tough questions to swallow, but are highly accurate and deserving to be asked.


There are several related passages I've been drawn to  as well, Matthew 13:10-17, Matt. 13:51, Jeremiah 32:27, and others.  Tonight Luke 14:27-28 was brought to my attention -- It was the page my Bible opened to.  It seams to strike to the core of my heart's concern..  The main question is: Am I going to follow Christ and everything He desires, regardless of the price? Or am I going to be too concerned about this short life I live on earth that I don't have an eternal perspective... 

Last week we visited a church where the pastor talked about being devoted to Christ. Being devoted to the Word and fellowship with Him. And how success was dependent on commitment. Translation: I need to be committed to God, His plan, His Word, and His fellowship, if I want to be successful in carrying His good news to others. Commitment means sacrifice. It means devotion. Love. Passion. Desire. Dedication. An inward need to follow Him.  It means living out "Not I, But Christ."


I need to see the costs of being a disciple of Christ--then bear that cross of mine and follow Him, having total faith and complete trust in Him and His ability to make "... all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose." (Rom. 8:28)  I'm praying for patience to wait for God's understanding, and for humility to follow as He leads.  Lord God, open my heart to hear You.

No comments:

Post a Comment